The Community Service Committee of RCQG focuses on giving handmade quilts to children who have extended stays in local hospitals. Last year about 375 quilts were distributed to local hospitals child services. We'd like to urge all of our members to complete at least one of our small quilts that we offer at each Guild meeting night. Many of you already do your share and more, so with just a little more effort by all members we could reach 400 quilts.
The committee meets once a month to help facilitate these donations. We organize donated materials, order batting to have on hand, make labels to be sewn on each quilt, make block-of-the-month kits, make quilt-top kits, work on all parts of the quilt-making process, and deliver the finished quilts to the hospitals.
Kits and blocks-of-the-month are available at the guild meetings to take
home. Each year, one guild meeting is
devoted to sewing on community service quilts.
- Another ongoing project is making drawstring bags for children at the Children’s Receiving Home. About one hundred bags per year have been donated in recent years.
- A new project introduced in 2011 is making very small quilts, called “lovies”, for the Sheriff’s Department. Patrolmen keep them in their cars with small toys to give to children who need to be comforted in stressful situations.
- See other community service opportunities in the navigation bar at left.
Many hours of caring work by our guild members go into each of these projects. These efforts are very much appreciated by the children and their families as evidenced by the many heartfelt thank you letters received throughout the years. Thanks to all who participate.
2012 Community Service Chairs:
• Penny Berggren email@example.com
• Vera Karnes firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact us if you have any questions, suggestions, or donations.
Get involved! Volunteer!